Meinl Byzance 22” Jazz Big Apple Dark Ride Cymbal
When power is met with a carefully blended dark tonal range through extensive hand hammering, your cymbal playing can go virtually anywhere.
Byzance Dark cymbals are hand hammered and completely unlathed, exposing the raw B20 bronze with an oven-blackened look. The crashes, splashes and chinas open up just enough, then get out of your way quickly while the hihats and rides provide clarity, cut and volume, along with a prominent dark tone. A special selection within Byzance Dark are the Spectrum hihats and rides, which are partially lathed for more definition.
These cymbals are made in Turkey from cast B20 bronze and are hand hammered into shape by skilled Turkish cymbal smiths.
Features & details
- Hand hammered in Turkey from cast B20 bronze alloy — the textured sound from the Byzance Big Apple Dark 22” Ride comes from its thin profile, light weight and undersized cup — the ride's elastic feel beautifully shades your sound from pop to bebop
- Unlathed surfaces — the first thing you will notice about these cymbals are the unlathed surfaces — by not filing these cymbals down, so to speak, they are left with a bold and definitive dark attack with a mellow sustain that gets out of your way
- Built for small rooms and clubs — this ride pays homage to the hearth of bebop, NYC, aka “The Big Apple” — out of this comes a sound built for jazz where the ride cymbal is the main focus, providing clarity, crashability and a dark mosaic of undertone
- A unique line in the Byzance family of cymbals — the degree of bold darkness these cymbals provide, along with their smooth and mellow sustain, puts them in a unique sweet spot between our Traditional and Extra Dry Byzance series of cymbals
- Modern versatility rooted in tradition — hand hammered into shape in Turkey using cast B20 bronze, Meinl Byzance cymbals are deeply rooted in traditional cymbal crafting methods, yet their old-world background is dialed-in to 21st century needs